Sorry WIll, I must be over-thinking this, but I'm still confused.
I can see how using Mode 1, 0-25%, would give you an effective 32-bit range (1/4 of the total range using 256 steps [8 bit] to adjust within that first quarter of the total dimmable range = 4x8bits= 32bits for the entire range) but I don't understand how Mode 2 0-50%, Mode 3 0-75%, and Mode 4 full intensity mode can implement 32 bit fading using only the 8 bit dimmer control. If the Modes only controlled 25% of the total dimmable range (i.e. Mode 2 25-50% , Mode 3 50-75%, Mode 4 75-100%, it would make more sense to me.
The way I understood your response, the fixture is somehow adding steps to the dimming control values to smooth the dimmer control. But if the dimmer control only allows 256 values what happens if, for example, you change the dimmer channel value a single step (say from 167 to 168) while in Mode 4? Does the fixture "create" 3 intemediate steps between those values?
Sorry for being so dense, but I've noticed several of your fixtures use the 32-Bit Dimming and I'd like to make sure I understand it fully.